Monday, August 24, 2009

Lake Champlain-Day 2 BASS Open

As many of you know that fish big events drawing a early number on day one hurts on day two. I started the day boat number 179 of 181 with a blast off about an hour after the first flight. This is not a bad thing though, I had about 2 hours longer to fish than the first flight. The second day weather was nothing like the first day. The winds were smoking out of the south at daybreak and it was gong to be a long ride to my first spot. After rolling through the check in line me and my co-anlger made a start to our spot. Over an hour later we made it to find it was getting blasted with hard winds.

I stuck with the plan and we started with the drop shot. Today is starting alot slower than the day before. I had to work for every bite and got and to my dismay lost 3 more fish before my limit was in the boat. My co-angler put his limit in the boat and was working on culling as I got my limit but with the conditions I made a move. I moved to another section on the reef I had found in deeper water and started to cull but only by ounces. I then moved to another grass line further south not getting a sniff at my baits. With only 2 hours left I made the run back to my first stop on a gut feeling I had. This was a good thing but not for me. My co-angler boated a huge 5 lb smallmouth to cull his only 2 lb fish in the box. I did move up a little but the lost fish were still haunting me.

With about an hour and a half to run back I made the run to the ramp. I pushed the boat hard to get back and was closer to the ramp with more time so I hit an area I found in practice to finish up. We both boated another limit of fish but neither of us culled up. We then made the short run to the ramp and made it in with only 4 mins to spare. My co-angler had a great bag with 15+lbs and made a huge move from down in the 100's on day one to the top 50 for a check. I moved up some but the fish I lost cost me the cut and a check.

I was happy for both my co-anlgers making a check and doing well and also happy I had traveled over 1400 miles from home to a lake I had never seen and had a limit each day. I learned a ton about Smallmouth fishing and how they do it up north. There is a huge difference between fishing up there and in the south. The day two baits were the Lake Fork swimbait and Jackall Crosstail shad again. My co-angler also had a couple of fish on a jerkbait(not sure on the brand).

All in all a great trip and a huge THANK YOU goes out to all my sponsors without them I could never be able to do this. Jackall Lures, Lake Fork Trophy Lures, Frazier Marine Group and Daiwa. Also a huge thanks goes to the Peet family(Don, Will, Eric, and Mandy) there is no ammount of words that I could ever say to give back the things they have done for me and my family. My Mom, Dad, and Wife Beth for all the support and pushing me to become a better angler each day. The last thank you goes to the one that deserves it most and without I could never be living this dream, our Lord and savior. I also want to thank everyone of my fans and followers for the support and well wishes. Together we will make it to the Elites and together we will celebrate the big win. FISH ON!!!

God Bless
Phil.4:13

No comments:

Post a Comment