Monday, March 28, 2011

Lake Chickamauga Event

Last weekend was the was my first tournament event of the year on Lake Chickamauga. After only seeing the lake once before but having a good finish there last year I was ready to get to Tenn and see if I could keep the streak rolling. I rolled into town on Wed moring and as soon as we pulled up noticed the water was way down from last year. After the rains I would have expected the water to be higher if anything but plans were changing as I was ideling around looking at the sonar.

I made the run to one of my best areas from last year and after making a few adjustments my buddy boated his biggest fish ever on a Jackall Muscle 15+ in Chart/Purple color. I was fan casting a point sitting in about 18 feet of water looking for fishin that were ready to move up for the spawn. I boated one fish in the 4 pound class and had several more bites I shook off. We moved around in the area tossing several baits and getting a few strikes. I put a Lake Fork Ring Fry on a small C-Rig and boated another solid keeper. We changed areas looking for some clear water but that was just not going to happen with high winds and pending storms rolling in. We made the move back to the ramp with a productive day one practice and got dry.

On day 2 of practice we wanted to build on what I had seen from the previous day. I hit main lake points where water got very shallow but would drop fast into deeper water. We still boated fish on the Muscle Deep 15+ and also the Jackall TN70 in a Red Craw color. One key was to make sure you worked the bait on the bottom very slow. We hit several areas and boated fish on all but one place. Most of the fish looked to be just coming up so I was very happy with the bite and what I found.

Day 3 of practice was only a halfday due to needing to get everything ready and the meeting that afternoon. We mainly rode and looked alot and I laid a track for my main run I was planning. On the night of the meeting it did nothing but get colder and pending thunderstorms were looking like they were going to move in and stay. That night we got pounded with rains and wind and were heading to the ramp in a down pour. I was hoping they would blow out of the area fast to be honest. I really needed the sun to be out to make my bite stable.

On the monring of the tournament I was sitting on the boat watching weatherreports and radar. We got held due to some nasty lightning but after that storm moved through we were off. I made the 20 min run North of the ramp to my first stop. I really didnt have anything before 9 am but wanted to make sure I got that area so I stayed on it. I boated my first fish on the Jackall TN70 in about an hour. Once I had that bite I noticed it was very sluggish and the bite was very light, unlike the bites I had during the week. I worked the area another hour until I saw my Co-Angler swing on a fish and miss right at the boat. I moved the boat out a little more and the next cast hit another fish and put it in the boat. I had slowed way down fishing the Jackall Cover Craw on light line trying to "coax" a bite. The rains were still pounding us but I was now running against the clock. This is the one time most tournament anglers have issues. I had 2 more areas that produced well in practice and wanted to hit them but had said in my mind I wouldnt leave this place without a limit. Well I always go with my gut and when it said to leave I left with only 2 keepers in the livewell.

On stop #2 I sat the boat down and within 5 mins of setting up boated my 3rd keeper fish. I noticed the water level had changed and also got a little dirty. I still worked the area the way I did in practice and boated 4 more non-keeper fish. I then moved out to the first break(where the better fish should have moved to) and started slowing way down. I was fishing a Jackall 4.8 Flick SHake rigged on a Dropshot and 6 lb line. I hooked a huge fish I saw on the sonar and he came up once. When he took the last dive we pulled me back in the brush and ended up breaking off. This is something that you just have to know will happen when you downsize. I had this happen one more time before time just ran out and I had to go back to the ramp. I did boat several more fish but none that were legal.

I ended the day with 3 fish that went 8.84 and gained some points torward the Regional event. Missing the first event I really need a good finish at Ft Loudon coming up. I want to say a special thanks to everyone that came out to see us and all the well wishes and support from our fans on Facebook. Also a huge thanks to our Sponsors, Jackall Lures, Lake Fork Trophy Lures, Hookerz Tackle, ReserveFishing.com, The Professor, Elite Series Products, Wired2FIsh, Gemini Sports Marketing, Topwater Clothing, Bass Pro SHops, and Gator Grip. Without these guys we couldnt be doing any of this. Looking forward to getting back at it soon and hope to see you on the water. ROCK ON!!!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment