Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Day 1 BASS Southern Open- Lake Toho

Well after a number of practice days I was ready to hit the water after a long year off the tour. I had a game plan and even a "plan B" already in my head. As I took off and headed to the first stop I sat down into high winds (in an area that had been semi-protected from a north wind all week prior) and rolling waves. Well knowing from past events that shallow water grass lakes with big fish really hate choppy water I knew I wouldnt be there long. I wasnt. I spent about 30-45 mins on the trolling motor blind casting to areas that had been very productive my first week here. To give you an idea on the winds the water I was fishing was fairly clear when I stopped and got nasty by the time I knew I had to move. I hit the gas and ran back north to an area Mike and I had fished with some good results for keeper fish and had one over 5 lbs shake off. Well I made the 10 min run and the second I sat the boat down knew that was not a good move on my part, again nasty wind blown water. I satyed about 15 mins before fighting my brain and pulling up the trolling motor. On to stop 3 which was fairly protected water wise and I knew it had to have some clear water in it. I had seen numbers of beds and knowing the water temps havent dropped all week, but really gone up I had to make the stop. Yep, you guessed it water was dirty, cleaner but still dirty and every bed was vacant. This is the point I talk about in most every class I teach on tournament Bass fishing NOT spinning out. I was at a loss, everything I had was going to be nasty and I knew there was only one thing to do, lock down. Mike and I had locked down one day in practice but never made the entire run to Kissimee. I just closed my eyes and went with my gut. I made the hour run down and once in the lake saw exactly what my gut was looking for, clear water with a drop near it. Once on the trolling motor it only took about 10-15 mins for my young Co-angler and first time BASS Open fisherman, Billy Mathews to validate my choice by putting a keeper in the boat. Once that happened it was like I knew I made the right choice. I boated a fish within another 5 mins and was back in the game. about another 15 mins went by and WHAM another fish. Not big fish but they were taking a boat ride either way. lol I call it part of the "Chris Jackson- Relocation program."lol Anyway, The sun got higher and the bite got slower but he and I both missed a limit of fish. That just happens sometime and I have learned to just accept it and stay moving forward. Once time ran close we made the run back which was a great ride to jar the Kidney Stone lose at 75 + in solid 3 footers. Once closer to the ramp had a little time left and knowing this lake has huge fish knew it would only take one to keep me in the game for the top 12. Well after missing two more that felt really good I was just out of time and had to return. I had a bad sack at 2.12 lbs but Im really not worried. The reason I say that is this is a lake that is famous for one bad day and one giant day. Looking at the standing, yes I am in like 160 place but the bigger picture is im only two realistic solid 4 lb fish from a check. I have seen many angler catch me on Guntersville the same way. Sitting nice and comfy in the top 20-30 and some guy come knock me out of a check on day two catching a sack of pigs. Friday I plan to be that guy!! Huge thanks to everyone for all your support and well wishes and I will be swinging for the fence Friday. You will see the Classic "hero or zero" Chris Jackson at its best.lol See you on the water and at the tanks. Best wishes to all the other anglers and my buds fishing the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment