Thursday, June 18, 2009

Lake Guntersville Report/Deep Water Fishing

Today I got out with great friend and former co-worker from Birmingham Police Department, Lt. Mike Ashworth. This was not really a guide trip but more a catch up and go fishing so I fished as well. We started out on the ledge because the mission of the day was to get Mike a big Guntersville Largemouth. Well The morning bite was just not there with only 2 hits and one fish boated on a War Eagle Spinnerbait(White). I decided to make the move to a guide stop I knew he would atleast catch a fish on. Well as soon as we pulled in they did not disappoint me with us boating several solid keeper fish and also a couple of shorts. Topwater was better today than it has been in the last few days but they wanted the bait moving faster than normal.

After getting the "skunk" out of the boat I moved to a roadbed that held several bigger fish the last few times I fished it. Well they were there as well. I boated two back to back flipping into deeper grass with a 1/2oz Lake Fork Tungsten weight rigged on Jackall Cover Craw. I know that is not the way it was made to be fished but the bait is so soft and the scent is so strong I have found the fish hold it longer and give you some time to get a solid hook set. Mike missed a couple but he has not flipped much so we chalked it up for a learning experience.

We then moved to some deeper fish hitting a creek channel off the main river. About halfway up the channel we got a a school of fish and boated good numbers everytime the wind blew. All of those fish we on the Lake Fork 10" worm and 11" Netbait C-Mac. After beating those fish up fairly well we moved to the ledges and boated a couple of other fish. We moved firther down river to a place I had some huge fish on during a trip this week. Well they did not get the memo that we were coming and just did not bite for us. We did catch a couple of the Jackall Muscle 15+ and Mike had a toad of a spotted bass. I must say he is one of the few people I have had on my boat in the last few years that tossed the deep crankbait the entire time without ever taking a break. We ended up running out of time with him having a long drive home and me needing to make an appointment in the late afternoon so we called it a day.

I would say this weekends tournament are going to pack the lake with the TOC(Coaches Tournament), BAIT, ABBT, and several other events all going on at the same time. I wish everyone a great tournament and lots of luck. Remember to have lots of water on the boat and lots of ice for your fish during this heat. Fish care should be the most important thing this time of year in tournaments. See you on the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment