Monday, June 8, 2009

Week In Review

Fishing this past week on Guntersville has been nothing short of HOT! With not only the weather but the fishing being great anglers are packing boat ramps everyday last week looking for the prized Guntersville Largemouth. The fishing has been some of the best I've seen in years on Guntersville and oddly enough, the lake has made some changes. The areas I have fished for years on the ledges has suffered from high winds and rain and the grass is either not there or extreamly short. Most areas have no grass at all but fish are still there.
If you ride around you can tell where the grass is for sure. There will be tons of boats sitting on top of each other. This weekend on the point of Pine Island I would venture to say I saw atleast 40 boats at any given time on that one small acre grass patch. Personally I prefer not to fish that close to other anglers so I have had to change some tactics. To be honest I am glad because it has made me think outside of the box and fish baits and areas I would not fish this time of year and made me learn alot.
We have been catching huge numbers of keeper fish on several baits like the War Eagle spinnerbait, Lake Fork Live Magic Shad, Netbait swimbaits, and Lake Fork big worms. Most of the best colors seem to be Green Pumpkin, Junebug, and Watermelon. On the spinnerbaits and swimbaits just stick with natural colors and you will have a great time. The better fish have been on deeper drops and ledges. I got to catch my first ever "deepwater" swimbait fish this week with a Jackall Ninja in water deeper than 20 feet. That was awesome to say the least. The best baits for the bigger fish have been the Omega 3/4 oz jig with Netbait trailer, bigger worms, and swimbaits. I have had a couple of fish on the spinnerbait but most are coming on the jig and swimbaits.
There has also been some exciting stuff going on in Guntersville that is sure to have anglers happpy. This coming week we have Wilson Frazier, of Frazier Marine Group, coming down to conduct a Sonar/GPS class at Wintzell's off Highway 431. The class will be from 7-9 on Thursday June the 11th. The cost for it is $50.00. If you have never seen one of his classes you should not miss it. You will learn more in two hours about your sonar and GPS than you could get from the book in weeks. This really cuts the "learning curve" in half.
Also this week was the first week of a the new tackle shop in Guntersville being open, Lake's Edge Tackle. He is still getting everything up and going but already has a full selection of several products. I would say he has the best selection of Netbait in Guntersville. After talking to Byrant(the owner) he has said there will be alot of big things to come in the next few weeks. They are planning a huge Grand Opening which he says will have great deals on all kinds of tackle, a fishing tournament, as well as great discounts on some products. It has not been confirmed yet but sources say he will also being carrying some baits no other tackle store in the area will have. He also wanted anglers to know he will be open everyday and if they dont have an item your looking for they can get it fast. Be sure to drop by and welcome him to the industry.
Later on this week I will be posting part 2 on my crankbait article as well as more fishing reports. Be sure to check back daily. We also are excited to announce together with WAAY 31 TV we are able to to up-to-min. fishing reports on the WAAY TO BETTER FISHING site(www.waaytobetterfishing.com) I have a link to my twitter account which allows me to send information on trips and tournaments while on the water each day. I update these several times a day on the lake. So if your headed out or on the water and want to know how the fish are biting or what baits are working you can check it out as I post. Be sure to visit the site as well for current weather information for every lake in the State. Also we will be doing a drawing each week. For those of you that go to the WAAY site and follow twitter, I will post sometime during each week to e-mail me a code. The first one to send the mail will get a halfday guide trip or other great discounts on products.
I hope everyone is likes the new sites and blogs. Be sure to e-mail me anything you would like to see or changes you think would make them better. Untill then good fishing and see you on the water.

God Bless

Phil.4:13

No comments:

Post a Comment