Sunday, January 2, 2011

Jackall Soul Shad Review

Well as the year of 2010 comes to a close Jackall Lures is still pressing forward and the "newest" bait to hit the line up in the US market is one I have been waiting on for sometime. The Jackall Soul Shad is one of the hottest new baits on the market. So hot in fact they are being sold out as fast as they hit the shelf, according to Tackle Warehouse reps when I try to place an order. Being they were hard to get I went to my "standby" Japan dealer and found a few.

While placing the order I noticed that the Japan market has 2 sizes one is the 58SP and the other is the 68SP. The 68SP is the size being sold in the US. I placed the order but the 68SP was out so I only got the 58SP in L Wakasagi. That color is close to a Super Shad color in the US with some very good looking flash to it. Also one of my favorite colors from Japan. One thing about Jackall is they have some of the best colors in the market and every single one of them catch fish.
Once I got the bait, which is just a little smaller than the US model(the US size being just about the same size as a Shad Rap SR7), I hit the water to test it. Being the water temps in the south were dropping and the winter pattern was becoming stronger everyday I knew this was the perfect time to see what this bait was made of. I first rigged it on a Jackall Master Stroke casting rod with a Daiwa Steez reel and Lake Fork FHPro 12 pound test. I found the fish to be sluggish but they hit the bait well, with most almost swallowing the bait. I worked the bait with a slow/fast retrieve making the bait slowdown then make a fast "darting" motion to trigger the strike. Although they say this bait is a suspending bait anglers need to remember water temps make the bait sink or float. When I tested this in the tub I found the Soul Shad floats in water temps above 52 degrees and sinks(slowly) with temps below 44, give or take a couple of degrees either way.

Now one of the main reasons I am glad they are bringing the bait to the US market is it replaces my need for the time proven Shad Rap. Now dont get me wrong the Shad Rap is a great bait but it has one weakness that every angler I know dislikes. You can't cast it well in windy conditions! Well in true Jackall form they have made this bait cast in most any condition well and gave the angler another tool for their "toolbox". The "magnetic weight moving system" they placed in the Bling55 was also placed in this bait and you can cast it forever, reguardless of winds. This system also aids in an angler being more accurate in bait placement with less effort.

I really wanted to try the bait on several lakes so I moved from Lake Guntersville to Lake Wilson. Lake Wilson is also on the Tennesse River system but more known for it's great Smallmouth fishing. Well That was what I was going after. I hit Wilson at a perfect time and fished it with a little different set up. I changed to a Jackall Power Inch Wacky spinning rod and a Daiwa Steez reel and Lake Fork Flourohybrid 7 pound line. I also fished the bait with another tactic, working it more like a jerkbait. One thing I loved was it can be fished several ways and one really cool thing about this one is it will reach far deeper in the water than most jerkbaits on the market. After boating close to 20 Smallmouth in the day one great fish decided she wanted my Soul Shad more than I did and after about 3 head high jumps near a dock made a run and broke me off on a metal pole by the dock. This explains why there isnt a picture of the bait in the article like most reviews I have done in the past.

I have already put my name on the list for more of the Soul Shad baits in several colors and feel very comfortable saying this bait is going to produce some solid finished in tournaments this comming season. If you have any qustions about the bait, colors, or tactics to fish it feel free to contact me or check them out on the Jackall website at www.jackall-lures.com . There is also a great video on Kota's website as well of him fishing the bait. You can find it at www.ninjatacklebox.com

.

No comments:

Post a Comment