Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Preparing For the Cold Weather

As I guide and fulltime angler we don't get the chance to stay indoors when the weather takes a turn for the worse. I have been asked by hundreds of anglers when the weather turns cold, “how do you stand it?" Well I am not as knowledgeable as some of our Northern anglers that spend hours on the water in cold conditions but here is some of the things I have found to make the trip as comfortable as you can when the temperature falls fast.

When I first started fishing fulltime I had no idea what I signed up for. My first winter as a guide I was faced with going on the water to take trips when most people would be sitting at home watching fishing on TV. Over the years I have owned just about everything you can put on that says it's warm and weather proof and spent countless dollars to finally find something to make it better. Over this time I have learned two of the most important words in staying warm, WIND PROOF!

While alot of anglers, like me when I first started out, are looking to not spend alot of cash on gear they will only use 3 or so months out of the year this is the one time you can't be cheap and also stay warm. Now don't get me wrong you don’t have to spend thousands of dollars to stay warm but a $20 rain suit is not going to do the job. The items I am going to talk about are not sponsors and the things I wear every day, not saying the brand is better than anything else on the market but it's what I use daily and have found to be the best for me.

Let's start with layers. This is one of the most important parts of gear. Always wear layers when you are fishing cold temps. This way you can shed one if the sun comes out, your tactics require you to be moving alot (making your body temperature go up), or things just get heated up. The fastest way to get cold is to overheat and start to sweat. I start with a pair of Under Armor-Cold Gear base layer pants. These are very thin but hold heat in while wicking sweat from your body. Next I put on a pair of Under Armor-Cold Gear jogging pants (loose fit). Next I use a pair of pants I learned about while I was a Police Officer in Birmingham. Blauer Tactical makes a killer liner for Police Motor Scouts and Mounted Patrol Officers. They are totally wind proof on the inside and "slick" on the outside allowing your outer pants to move over them and not bind. I then top that off with snow pants. Which are made by Northern Face. My upper layer is a cheap sweat shirt that I cut the neck out of and fits loose. I put a Under Armor Tight Cold Weather base layer top on. This will wick the sweat from the first shirt I put on but also keep the heat in. I then top that off with my favorite hoodie. The one I wear is sold by Wired2Fish. The reason I love it is because it is almost wind proof holds in heat and is thin, leaving my arms free to move. Under Armor makes some great thin hoodies as well. The key is wind resistant and very thin allowing you to move freely and be comfortable.

If the weather is just nasty I top all of the things I talked about off with an Iditarod snow jumpsuit, made by Northern Face. If it’s not below 30 degrees I will not wear this because it is made for sub-zero temps. I will switch to my Bass Pro Shops 100 mph rain suit. Both are waterproof, windproof, and thin.

Now for some outerwear I use all the time. I will wear something on my head always. Gill and Under Armor make great beanies that will hold in heat, wick sweat, and are wind proof. This is very important when fishing because your ears will get pounded with winds and you don't in most cases have to wear a hood which limits vision and moving. Shoes are also very important. If they are calling for rain I wear a pair of ankle high boots made by Muck. These are very comfortable and have non-slip soles. They are also waterproof and wind proof. If they are not calling for the wet stuff I will wear Birkenstocks or Merrell shoes. Gloves are the one thing I have had the hardest time finding. Trying to find gloves that are windproof, water proof and thin enough to tie on lures without having to take them off. So far the best I have found are Bass Pro Shops 100 mph gloves and Under Armor football gloves. I have tried the winter style golf gloves but they just don’t hold up for me. I can wear a hole in a set of gloves in about a month from casting and retrieving lures all day. So far Under Armor and BPS gloves are the only thing I can find that will last. I also use a pair of Motorcycle style gloves to drive in. They are thicker but allow you to feel controls and not get cold at all from the wind. I also use a mask made by Save Phace for driving. I prefer this over a helmet for two reasons. One, a full-face helmet kills my neck while driving long runs because of the way you have to sit in the boat and two; if you come out of a boat you can break your neck when you hit the water. The Save Phase mask works great, has a good line of sight from it, and if something bad happens it will tear away when you hit the water. Not to mention you can get them custom painted and they look awesome.

I hope this helps you out in getting ready to fish in cold weather and save you some of the "wasted" money I have sent through over the years trying to find the right stuff. As I stated before though this is only the things I have found to use and stay warm and comfortable all day on the water. If you stay comfortable on the water you will stay longer and that will increase your chances of boating the fish of a lifetime. Best of luck and see you on the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment