Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Jackall Swimbait Information

I have recieved several e-mails asking about the Jackall swimbait models and other equiptment to use them. So here is a small review of each bait, tactics they are used for, and things you need to know to get you started.

First one of the most popular baits in the Jackall line up is the Giron. Now this bait may not be the number one seller as far as stats go( I don't know those numbers) but I see more anglers buy and fall in love with it at more shows than most any other hard swimbait on the market. First thing is you need to fish it on a good solid rod with a Mod/fast tip on it. I use either the Jackall Rushburn(6'11") rod or the Daiwa 7'4" swimbait rod. Rod choice depends on how deep I am fihsing the bait. I use a slower gear reel like the Daiwa Zillion cranking reel and Lake Fork FlouroHybrid 26 or 32 lb line. In the spring I fish this bait a couple of ways but most often swimming it over grass beds where fish are starting to get ready to spawn. The key to this bait is fish it very slow and don't over work it. One other way this bait is awesome is "bed fishing". When I find a bass on bed I cast it well past the bed and work the bait up to it slow. Once it is near the bed stop it and let it fall. The bait will sit on the hooks and not fall over. If this doesn't key the big female to strike then pull it back in and place a very small spot of lead tape on the underside if the nose. This will cause the bait to nose over and look to be feeding on the bottom when it is stopped. Then repeat the steps before and let it sit in the bed. I have only seen one fish not strike it in this manner. One other way to fish it is topwater. Toss the bait out hold the rod tip up and wake the bait back to the boat. I also sometimes, twitch it as I work it back to the boat. It will trigger alot of strikes when other baits won't.

Another hot bait bait is the Jackall Mikey. This bait comes in 3 sizes and several colors. I have boated fish on every color they make and every size. The Jr. size is great and will boat alot of fish from 2 lbs to fish well above 7 lbs. I work the bait on the same rods except on the Jr I use a Jackall Master Stroke rod. It has a little faster tip and makes it easier to cast. I like to fish it over grass and laydowns working it like a wake bait or just under the surface. The Sr version is nothing short of awesome for bigger fish. YOu will get alot less bites but if you are looking for a huge fish this is the bait to have. I have boated several fish in the 9-11 lb range on this bait in the last 2 years.

One bait that doesn't get alot of attention but is most likely my favorite is the Dagored. This bait is a jointed bait with a small prop on the back. It is used for topwater as a wake type bait and has won me alot of money over the years on waters all over the country. I have boated huge largemouth and spots on the bait but also had great numbers of smallmouth on it. This bait was the main reason I became a part of Jackall several years ago. When I first started buying them you couldnt get them in the US. I ordered them from an on-line tackle company(that I should own stock in by now.LOL) in Japan. WHen I first met Kota he asked me if I knew of Jackall baits? I opened up my box and showed him one section full of Dagored baits. He laughed and asked how I got them and the rest was history.

Finally the latest in the Jackall Hard Swimbait line is the Sride. This bait is one of the most versital swimbaits I have ever fished. I use a longer rod like the Daiwa Steez 7'4" swimbait rod to fish it. YOu can fish this bait deep and slow roll it and one level or you can fish it like a jerkbait. The jerking action will trigger strikes when most baits will not. on one snap of the wrist the bait will "shoot" up and in one direction, the next pull it will dive and move 4 feet in the other direction. This bait looks just like a fish chasing shad or if you let it fall some after a few pulls it looks like one that is struggling to stay alive. One other way to fish it is on topwater in the same way. Work it like a "Spook"type bait and it will produce great fish as well.

The last bait in the line is a "Soft" swimbait called the Swimming Ninja. This bait has recieved alot of press in the last year. I fish it on the bigger rod due to it's weight but the action is best on lighter line or briad. Learn to count it down and while holding the rod tip down slowly reel the bait back to the boat. every now and then vary the speeds and let the bait fall as well. This has triggered several bites in an area that has slowed after a few fish. This bait has some of the one of the best actions I have seen in this weight and size with hooks made into it.

I hope this kinda helps get you started in the swimbaits from Jackall and feel free to ask qustions or send comments of what you have experianced while fishing these baits. Biggest thing to remember is this type of fishing is for bigger bites so numbers may drop some but the size is well worth it. Many of my clients tell me after fishing swimbaits the main reason they have not boated fish on them was they had not fished them long enough. Just stick with it and they will produce and your confidence will in this tactic will grow. See you on the water
God Bless
Phil.4:13

No comments:

Post a Comment